Saturday, May 25, 2013

Race Report - 05/25/2013 - Road Racers Summer Series #1

Location: Phoenix, AZ - Papago Park
Race Type: Run
Participants: 973
Overall Place: 79th
Age Group Place: 6th
Time: 20:29

This was the first race of a 5K summer series hosted by Road Racers.The course ran through Papago Park. It was quite warm even though the race began
at 7:30 (mid to high 80's). The race was started in waves based on expected times. I headed to the 2nd corral and noticed another racer who I'd run against a couple of other times. We are evenly matched so I was out to beat him today.

As soon as the 1st horn sounded the 1st and 2nd corral jumped, although I knew that I should have waited the excitement got to me. I traded places with my hand picked competition for the first half and then I passed him and he never caught up. I believe that he finished about 20 seconds behind. 

Anyway, the course was full of rollers that could spike the heart rate until the brief down hill portion. My heart rate averaged 187 for this race and I came out knowing that I gave it my all. I was really hoping to break the 20 minute barrier but it just didn't happen this day. Maybe if the course had been flat...


No comments:

Post a Comment