Saturday, September 14, 2013

Race Report - 9/14/2013 - Ogden Valley Triathlon

Location: Ogden, Utah
Race Type: Triathlon
Distance: 1000 meter swim, 15.4 mile bike, 4 mile run
Participants: 234
Overall Place: 67th
Age Group Place: 15th
Time: 1:45:23.  Swim: 26:11, Trans1: 3:01, Bike: 40:53, Trans2: 2:10, Run: 22:03

I traveled to Eden, Utah to attend this race with by bike. My goal was to have fun and visit a friend that I haven't seen in years. This was his first triathlon and we agreed that if he would sign up I would make the trip. 

The weather when I arrived on Friday was rainy off and on. On Saturday morning the rain cleared up a few hours before the race. The event was put on by TriUtah and was in the 8th year running. The transition area was well laid out with rack assignments. I was unlucky in that I a middle rack with a position on the far end. 

The swim was in Pineview Reservoir. I found a person with a Garmin 910XT at the end and she clocked it at 1150 meters. The water temp was great for my sleeveless wetsuit and there were only a few waves when one of the lifeguards would come by with a skidoo. I hadn't been training a lot on my swimming so I was definitely slow. 

The swim to transition was tough as I had to run up a very steep hill that was wet mud from previous participants. I ended up walking most of it. This tired my out for the transition and I ended up with the slowest time to date. 

The bike course was a single loop with minimal turns. That said, I took a left too fast when trying to pass another person and ended up going off the course, into the rocks, and onto a sidewalk. I was able to recover without losing any time and minimal speed. Overall, I was happy with the ride and averaged 22.6mph. The bike to run transition was uneventful.

The run consisted of ~1.5 miles of road and ~2.5 miles of single track. I felt weak the entire time. I'm thinking that the elevation (5000 feet) was taking its tole on me. I had gone for a run the previous day and my heart rate was elevated for the speed I was going. Needless to say, my run was slower than I expected but it was fun to run the single track and have trees for shade. We don't get much of that in Arizona.

Overall, this was a fun race with a great friend. I hope to make it an annual event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment