Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 - A Year in Review


2013 has been an exciting year for me. There were so many "first times" that I'm not sure I'll be able to capture the essence in one post but I'll give it a shot. Prior to this year I had only entered into a few other races in my life. This year I competed in 23 races/events covering aquathlon, road cycling, running, and triathlon. While training and racing I learned a lot about my body, my mind, the outdoors, and the active community. I also reconnected with old friends, made new friends, and spent a lot of money on equipment!

2013 has been an exciting adventure that I hope to learn from. I want to remember and share some of the good and bad highlights along with a few of the lessons that I have learned this year.

The Good 
  • I can run! My first big running event was brutal. I decided that I would tackle a marathon and while I trained hard my body just wasn't ready for that kind of pounding. I finished sub 4 hour but the last five miles were the hardest thing that I have ever had to convince my body to do in my life. That race didn't stop me from future abuse though. Over the year I completed 11 more running events where I typically placed in the top 10 percent of runners. I achieved a decent number of medals for my age group and even a couple of overalls. Never did come in first overall though... ;-(
  • I can swim! Not fast, mind you. I'm working on that and have hired a personal trainer. Anyway, after the first horrific open water swim I was able to conquer my fears and pull off seven more swimming events. At this time I'm a mid-pack swimmer but I'm pleased that I can tackle a 1.2 mile swim with plenty left over for a bike and run.
  • I am a triathlete! This was never something that I considered. It just seemed to be a natural progression after putting in a few thousand miles on the bike and so many miles running. I felt like I was neglecting my upper body and believed that cross training regularly would improve my health and physique. It did. With my decent bike and run times I have been able to place in the top 1/4 to 1/3 of participants and top 10% during a couple of races. 
  • I've met some great people over the last year who have motivated and inspired me. I also like to think that I may have done the same for others. It's great to have a group of people that I can call when I'm looking for a partner to ride, run, race, or commiserate with. It really helps to know that there are others out there facing the same struggles and achievements as me every day. I was also grateful to re-connect with an old friend while using the excuse of a triathlon to bring us together.  
  • I've discovered the outdoors, somewhat. I have biked all over the Phoenix area and have run the roads, canals, trails, and even a couple of mountains. I've also been fortunate enough to travel a bit for a couple of my races. I can't imagine being cooped up in a gym when I have open roads right out my door! 
  • My mind and body are stronger now than ever before. I have discovered that I need plans and goals. In this case the goal is the upcoming race and the plan is, well, the workout schedule. If I have a plan than I can get out of bed early and do that swim, bike, or run while my family is sleeping. I can push myself physically so that I can achieve acts that I had never thought possible. Last weekend I ran a full marathon distance as a training run and while my legs were tired I felt great! I beat my previous marathon race time by 21 minutes and came out of it with sore muscles but no pain. A year ago I wouldn't have been able to take the stairs for a week due to joint pain.  
  • I acquired a sponsor. Mike's Mix has been providing me with recovery and sports drinks for the last few months. I appreciate their product and their sponsorship. 
The Bad
  • I entered my 1st half ironman distance event in November and also had my 1st DNF (did not finish). Four flats in 46 miles and no tube to repair the last was enough to call it a day. 
  • Taking corners too fast on the bike can be hazardous. During two different races I almost wrecked by not following this advice but was lucky enough to keep going.
  • Racing costs money, lots of it. I acquired debt in 2013 to fuel my passion. 
  • Training and racing can be dangerous. While I was fortunate to have had an injury free year I witnessed numerous accidents ranging from scrapes to broken bones. 
Lessons Learned
  • I like racing, medals, and winning
  • I no longer "work-out", I train
  • I'm a good runner, a decent cyclist, and a mediocre swimmer
  • The right kind/amount of fuel is needed for every race 
  • Fueling starts 2-3 days prior to standing at the start line
  • I dread speed workouts but know that they make me faster, faster
  • Winter is for running, Spring is for triathlons, Summer is for biking, and Fall is for triathlons (again)
  • There will always be someone that is faster than me; hopefully they skip the race that I am in!
Next Year - 2014
  • I already have a number of running and triathlon races on the calendar
  • I will travel to my home town of Syracuse, NY to complete my 1st official Ironman event (the name, not the distance; it is a half ironman)
  • I will focus on increasing my running speed so that I can qualify for Boston during the January 2015 Rock n' Roll marathon
  • I will swim a minimum of 2x per week
  • I will complete one bike interval workout per week
  • I will have fun and tri to achieve!!!



 2013 Timed Races

2013 Workout Hours

2013 Bike Summary

2013 Run Summary



No comments:

Post a Comment