Sunday, January 26, 2014

Week in Review - Jan 26th 2014: Recovery

I think that it will be useful to start a weekly review so that I can capture any lessons I may have learned and so that my readers, you know who you are, can keep up to date on my trials and tribulations. I'll try to do this on Sunday from now on.

It's been a long week with almost no exercise. After going to the ER on Monday I decided to take the rest of the day off and the next for rest. On Tuesday I scheduled a followup appointment with a cardiologist and was informed that I'd have to wait until Friday to see him.

Wednesday I worked my regular 10 hour day and as I was packing up to go home a work emergency arose that required my attention for the next couple of hours. By the time I left my chest was beginning to burn heavily.

I had decided that I would not exercise again until after the cardiologist appointment so Thursday was quiet and I spent the day helping out around the house and catching up with my children.

Friday morning I went to the cardiologist. They checked my blood pressure and ran another EKG. The doctor didn't find anything exciting so he scheduled a followup stress test and echo-cardiogram. He thought that it was unlikely that my heart had anything to do with my chest pain so my appointments weren't prioritized. The stress test will be on 2/3 and the echo on 2/6.

I have to admit that I am excited to perform the stress test and to get the results. Maybe I can follow up with another stress test in a couple of years and compare...

After the appointment I went to the gym and swam a few laps. I really wasn't too motivated and had to get home so I only swam 700 yards. My chest burned a little afterwards but not too bad.

A couple of hours later I went for a 34 mile bike ride. This was to be a test of my stamina and chest pain. I felt a little weak during the ride and there was some definite chest burning afterwards. I also started coughing a bit over the next few hours. Not as bad as before the marathon, but not altogether healthy.

On Saturday I was beginning to go stir crazy. I was feeling full of energy and wanted to test the lungs further with a steady state run. My daughter needed markers so I took the opportunity to run to the store and get 5 miles in. I kept the heart rate to a 160 bpm pace for the 1st 4 miles and then picked it up for the last mile. It felt good and my lungs only burned slightly afterwards.

I worked Sunday but was able to get a 1500 meter swim and 20 mile ride in for lunch. I'm not feeling 100% but I'm getting there.

Next week I will continue to take it easy and hopefully will be able to get a long run in the following week in preparation for the Phoenix Marathon.




No comments:

Post a Comment