Sunday, June 1, 2014

Week in Review - June 1st 2014: Training Continues for Ironman 70.3 Syracuse

I haven't written a weekly training review for a few weeks. While I'm sure that my devoted readers eagerly await every report I often only have enough ambition to write one post a week. 

The previous couple of weeks I wrote about the Tempe International Triathlon and the Arizona Road Racers Summer Series 5K. Both of these events were fun and it was great to walk away with two new personal records. 

This week I focused on getting back into a regular training schedule. My weekly goal until the week before the Ironman 70.3 Syracuse on June 22nd is to complete 6000 yards of swimming, 100 miles of biking, and 20 miles of running. 

Swimming

I swam on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. While I still can't say that I enjoy swimming, I am definitely getting faster. I hope that my continued swimming focus will enable me to achieve a 50% or better finish in Syracuse. To date, my best swim finish has been the 58th percentile during my last event. 

Total Distance: 6100 yards

Biking

I commuted again on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning with a few extra miles going home on Monday and Tuesday for a total of 60 miles. 

Friday morning I squeezed in a 45 mile ride with a 21.6 mph average. I kept my heart rate in the area that I'll target for Syracuse, so I'm pleased with this speed. My goal for the race is 21 mph due to terrain differences. 

Total Distance: 136 miles

Running

I ran on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. My legs were beat on Monday after racing the 5K on Saturday and biking 40 miles on Sunday so I did not enjoy slogging along for 7 miles.

On Thursday I stepped up the pace for a shorter 5 mile run and was feeling mostly recovered. 

Saturday was warm even though I started a little after 6 in the morning. I drove over to the canal and completed 10 miles as a 5 mile out and back. I kept the pace slow and steady. It was nice to relax and not focus on a pace goal for the day. With the temperature reaching 95 by the end of the run I had wanted to give my body time to acclimate to running in the heat again.

Total Distance: 22 miles

Training Details

Monday: 7 mile run, 11 mile ride to work, 1600 yard swim and lunch, 15 mile ride home
Tuesday: 10 mile ride to work, 1500 yard swim, 15 mile ride home
Wednesday: 10 mile ride to work
Thursday: 5 mile run, 1500 yard swim
Friday: 45 mile bike
Saturday: 10 mile run
Sunday: 20 mile bike before work, 1500 yard swim, 10 mile ride home


No comments:

Post a Comment