Saturday, May 24, 2014

Race Report - 05/24/2014 - Arizona Road Racers Summer Series #1 5K

Location: Gilbert, AZ
Race Type: Run
Participants: 596
Overall Place: 51st
Age Group Place: 5th of 28
Time: 19:27 (PR)
Pace: 6:16/mile

This was the first race in a series of five 5K events put on by a local running shop and organization, Arizona Road Racers. They probably have the most races in the Phoenix area throughout the year and attract some really fast runners. The prices are cheap at 13-18$ for each 5K. They also support the local high schools by giving them free entry. Of course this results in a field of runners that I have no chance to beat!

I competed in three of their races last year, two 5K's and one half marathon. All of them were well run. This race was no different. 

Pre Race
The event was held in Gilbert at the Riparian Preserve. This venue was a change from previous years when the race was held outside the Phoenix Zoo. The course started in the grass and then wound through 1/3 mile of shaded trail followed by ~2 miles of paved canal and finishing off with more shaded trail. The course was flat other than a small bump around mile 2.9 (of course I could have done without the bump at that point). 

The temperature this morning was a pleasant 77 degrees. Good for a short run but I wouldn't want to be out there too long as it should reach ~100 degrees today. 

Participant turnout was good, around 650 people. The next races in the series should have ~800 people each as they will be held in their traditional locations. Personally, the only other race I will do is #5 at South Mountain Park as the other venues are too far to drive. 

And here is a pre-race pic...

The Race
The race start was broken down into 1 minute race intervals with those that planned to run sub 6 minute miles as the 1st group to start followed every 30 seconds by the later groups. 

I meandered to the sub 7 minute group and hung out near the back. Probably not the wisest move since I ended up having to dodge a number of people at the beginning that were on the slower end of the 7 minute pace. 

The initial part of the run was on a dirt path that was a bit narrow. I was often forced to slow my pace because I couldn't get around people and I didn't feel like yelling for them to get out of the way. 

Around the half mile mark we had to run over a small bridge, do a 180 degree turn and run back toward the slower runners while on the same path. This was also a bit frustrating but we only had to do this for about 100 feet. 

After that we ran onto the paved canal and everyone was able to spread out. I locked into a good pace and slowly passed a number of people. I was feeling pretty good but by the time I hit the two mile mark I was mentally battling to keep the pace going. 

The last half mile or so was on trail and I managed to pick off a few more runners. I was starting to feel sluggish and it showed by my 3rd mile pace of 6:30/mile where the first two miles had been a 6:15 pace. 

I finished strong going into the finishers shoot and was excited to see that I had achieved another PR.

Post Race
I struggled to catch my breath for a minute and then grabbed a bottle of water and a watermelon slice. I was 5th for my age group so I didn't hang around for awards. 

On the way to the car I chatted with a couple of other runners and snapped off a finishing pic.

Race Recap
As always, the Arizona Road Runners put on a great race in a great location. I know that whenever I do their events I have almost no chance of leaving with a medal but it is good to get out there with a large number of really good athletes. 

The next 5K event I run with this group probably won't be a PR due to the number of hills but I look forward to doing it all the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment