Sunday, April 27, 2014

Week in Review - April 27th 2014: Solid Week

This was a solid week of training.

I exceeded my swimming goals and met my biking and running goals. What's better,  I logged a few rides and runs at a faster clip than I've been training for a while. Additionally, I managed to incorporate a modified running gait that resulted in an increased cadence. 

Swimming

As a said earlier, this was a good week. In fact, the best I've had in a year. My speeds improved, I got in a lot of yards, and my confidence is coming back. 

I had to work two extra days this week so I was near the pool every day but Saturday. This allowed me to get in five swims. I primarily focused on my stroke and used a pull buoy quite a bit. I managed to drop my 100 yard time by about 10 seconds. While this isn't where I want to be in the long run, it is a good start. 

I also tried out a snorkel for one swim. I was surprised to see that me speed was reduced and I didn't like the fact that I could breathe whenever I felt like. I took it off after a short while due to concerns that it would have a negative impact on my breathing while not having a great impact on my stroke. 

Total Distance: 7500 yards

Biking

I made the 10 mile trek back and forth to work Monday - Thursday with a ride home on Friday. One of the days I was happy to post an average speed of 22.4mph on my ride to work. This was a personal best for me and felt good because I wasn't aided by wind at my back.

On Sunday I rode 20 miles before work and felt quite sluggish. I chalk it up to the 10K run that I ran on Saturday where I pushed pretty hard. 

Total Distance: 112.4 miles

Running

I managed to squeeze in 3 medium distance runs, one of which was right before bed (don't think I'll do that again as it messed up my sleep). 

I focused on keeping my feet low and my cadence high. I think I was pretty successful as my two 10K runs clocked at an average pace of 7:38/mile and 7:23/mile respectively, and my 8 mile run average d 7:53/mile. 

The 10K runs were a bit faster than I had been running in months and it felt good to get in some decent times. 

My last run at 7:23/mile had an average cadence of 182 steps per minute while the same distance last month at a 7:42/mile my average cadence was 169. That is a great improvement and should help improve fatigue on my long runs and following the bike leg in a race.

Total Distance: 20.5 miles

Training Details

Monday: 1500 yard swim, 11 mile ride, 6.3 mile run
Tuesday: 1500 yard swim, 2x10 mile ride
Wednesday: 
8 mile run, 2x10 mile ride
Thursday: 
1500 yard swim, 2x10 mile ride
Friday: 
1500 yard swim, 10 mile ride
Saturday: 6.2 mile run

Sunday: 1500 yard swim, 20 mile ride, 10 mile ride





No comments:

Post a Comment