Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Keeping it all Together - Family, Work, Training, and Racing

Over the last couple of years I've had to learn how to balance family, work, training, and racing (in that order). It hasn't always been easy and sometimes it hasn't gone very well either. Family comes first, right. I have three small children; two in elementary school and one that will start next year. My wife works from home so she often needs a break by the time I arrive at night.

I have worked for the same company for over 13 years. My current position allows my to work four, ten hour days; one of which is a weekend. I find this schedule to be great. I don't have to be at work until 8am so this allows my to get up early, work out for 1-2 hours, take a shower, and help get my children ready for school. During the Phoenix area summers, morning workouts are a must. It is simply too hot during the day to do anything but bike or swim. During the cooler months I can run in the mornings and bike during my lunch break. I typically do not exercise on work nights because I get home near bed time and need to help with homework, baths, getting the children ready for bed, etc.

I have two week days where I do not work and two of the three children are in school. I typically try to get in a longer, 2.5 - 3.5 hour, single workout or brick on at least one of these days. During my one weekend day I also shoot for a long workout. My weekly goal is 10-15 hours of exercise for a three week average with 5-7 hours during the rest week. I am usually able to meet these goals.

Most of the races that I compete in occur early in the morning on Saturday or Sunday. I have only had to travel more than an hour for a few events so I am usually home by lunch time on my non-work day or I head directly to work. Triathlons eat up more of my day and have required more travel. I'm not fond of the local triathlon bike course for the Olympic to Half IM distances so I look elsewhere. If I can make a mini vacation out of a triathlon event, I will. Ideally the family will come along with me on these longer trips but that hasn't always worked out.

Without my wife working from home I don't think that I'd be able to keep my training schedule. The ability to leave every morning before the children wake up is what keeps my training strong. Besides, I am definitely a morning person. I enjoy the morning run or ride with next to no-one on the roads. I remember my father telling me on one occasion that mornings are God's time. I happen to agree. The world seems tranquil before the hustle and bustle of our lives takes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment