Monday, October 21, 2013

Welcome to my blog - About Me

Tri to Achieve... Well, the name was available and I thought that it was fitting for my circumstances. My name is Dan Sherman and I am an aspiring age group triathlete. My endurance training story begins like this:

Starting some time in 1999 I decided to improve my health and start exercising. I am 5'10" and my weight bordered 200 pounds. My routine consisted of going to the gym 4-5 times per week for ~30 minutes per visit. I  lost 20 pounds and was was feeling good about myself so I quit exercising (dumb). 

Late 2011. I started and completed a 90 day round of P90X. This time I dropped from 210 pounds to 165 pounds. After finishing P90X I felt like I was in the best shape of my life. I started running and road biking regularly and eventually aspired to racing. 

During P90X training I discovered that I need structure and goals so that I will work out regularly. Without structure I will always be able to find excuses not to exercise  I signed up for my 1st century bike race in October 2012 and did well. I then captured a race bug that led me to sign up for the Phoenix Rock n' Roll Marathon. I trained for four months and completed the run in 3:53. Not my goal time of 3:40 but those last 5 miles were a killer. After various running and bike events I decided to give triathlon a shot so that my fitness could be better rounded. I started training for an Olympic distance triathlon in my area and completed that in May. I finished in the top 1/3rd of participants. I continue to race in running, biking, and triathlons and am only getting faster. 

My ultimate goal is the ACHIEVE a healthy existence through an active lifestyle of training and racing. Of course I also enjoy the feeling of doing well in races and placing in either my age group or overall.

The balance between family, training, and racing is something that I strive to achieve. Without the support of my wonderful wife my training and race goals would not be possible. Thank you to my wife and children for your patience, understanding, and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment