Monday, February 17, 2014

Week in Review - Feb 16th 2014: Finally Healthy

There were a few scheduling conflicts that I had to work through this week, and a couple of roadblocks, but overall I was pleased the results. My heart rate has finally started cooperating and is staying in the right zones when compared against my pace.

As far as scheduling goes, my wife has started to exercise in the mornings and I've had to adjust my training schedule accordingly. I'm happy to sleep in a bit later but have had to be a bit creative getting my workouts in. This roadblocks I will cover later...

I took Monday off to recover after a strong week prior and picked up a short swim and run during my lunch break on Tuesday.

Wednesday my wife exercised in the morning and I was swamped with work the rest of the day and was unable to get in a workout. I made up for it on Thursday with a 11 mile run in the morning and a 1000 yard swim at night.

On a side note, I've decided that my swims for the last couple of weeks and the week following will consists of a single set of 1000 yards followed by a run or bike. I am curious to see whether or not my times and comfort level improve. So far I'm still really slow but my time has dropped by a couple of minutes and I am certainly more comfortable going the distance. In two weeks I will increase to a 1500 yard set followed by a few sprints.

Friday was Valentine's Day so I completed a short morning run in the shape of a heart and posted the result to facebook for the wife to see. My legs were hurting during the run but I figured that it would have gone away if I had run for longer. For lunch I was able to get in a 1000 yard swim and 20 miles on the bike. Surprisingly I picked up a KOM on Strava on a one mile segment.


Saturday's plan was to do an 18 mile run. I headed out in the morning and my calves were killing me. I got 2.7 miles out and quit. I felt that if I pushed it for the long run that I would regret it in the week to come. It was a beautiful morning and I walked home (roadblock #1).

Sunday I had to work and planned on doing a 1000 yard swim, 15 mile bike, and 3 mile run during my lunch break. The swim went well and I headed out on the road bike for a change (I typically use the tri bike). Unfortunately I had brought a tube and changing levers but forgot to transfer over the CO2 cartridge and adapter. Five miles into the ride I got a flat (roadblock #2). Oh well, it was a beautiful day and I walked two miles back to my car and skipped the run.

The Phoenix Marathon is coming up in 2 weeks so I don't plan on doing extensive running next week. Maybe a semi-long run at the beginning of the week, a couple of short runs, 4 swims, and a couple of short rides.



No comments:

Post a Comment